Thursday, August 03, 2006

My Mars Memorial Run

This month the planet Mars will be very close to Earth. This is something that is not expected to happen for another 60,000 years. I thought I had missed it last week.

Tonight I went out for my 1st run in about 3 weeks. As I started running I noticed this very bright half red moon. This was obviously Mars. I was very excited to see this as I really enjoy planetary stuff like this. As I was running I kept my eye on the planet. What a great experience. Then I thought about the 2 athletes from Calgary that have recently died while biking and swimming. Jason Lapierre and Hector Millano. Although I have never met either, many fellow athletes did and were grieving this week. Tomorrow is a memorial ride for Jason and although I am unable to make it I decided to have my own solo memorial run for both while running with Mars. I thought of both as I did my 2 loops and was amazed at how quickly the planet disappeared behind the clouds. One moment it was bigger than life and then the next it was gone!

This happened 2 times during my run and it reminded me of how fast and unexpected our lives can change. It was a very nice run and helped me appreciate my own.

Train safe and see if you can run with Mars this month.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool! It was nice to read that you celebrated Jay's life that way. He was a friend of Stephen and I, and is truly missed. He was an amazing coach himself, and it is incredible the way his life was celebrated the other night during the memorial ride. His Dad would be proud to know you also celebrated his life!

Sherri B.