Thursday, April 24, 2008

2008 Boston Marathan Race Report by Sue

As the saying goes: I'll be back!" Can you believe I was less than one second off per mile! Manana! Another reason to try again. It was a great race and I just felt terrific throughout. I had no idea how I was doing along the way other than from my HR which I kept steady around 146-7. I kept thinking not to blow it by going out too hard before "the hills". If you read the reports from Lance Armstrong you know the crowds were huge lining the small roads so I figure I did pretty well squeezing my way forward as the race progressed. It is very unlike NYNY that way: you can not run your own race as you are always thinking about your next move up the road around people or under their elbows. As I went in at 13190 and came out at 7045( or near that) that was quite a few people to move past politely. The aid stations came up so quickly as you could never see then until you were on them due to the crowds pushing into the roadway. I never miss a drink station so that meant quick veering to grab a cup to drink or dunk on my head. It got very hot as the day went on - but fine for me. Others got very burnt - like Karen. the noise grew and grew along the way and I don't know if it peaked passing the Wellesley screaming women or towards the end along Commonwealth where the crowds got thicker and thicker. I know I really had little time along the way to think about my cues that you had written me. There is nothing boring about running Boston. It really does just envelope you and carry you for a ride. It was a blast. I do recommend you try it. Thanks Coach.

No comments: