Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Peach Classic Race Report by Janette

I am so proud of myself! I did it - my first olympic! 3:38:42 154avg HR, 172max HR I went for a ride with Isabelle last Tuesday and we found some big hills. I'm so glad because when I drove the Peach course on Saturday I was pretty scared. I knew I had the gears on my bike to get me up them, but man, there are a lot of hills!
The swim started out okay. At the first turn we started heading back into the sun and I couldn't see the next marker. I was with a group of swimmers though, so I figured I was pretty much on course. Wrong! I finally saw the marker when I was beside it - but 30' to the inside of the triangle. Once I got back on course, I found my rhythm but it felt like I was super slow because now I was all alone. I was out of the water around 37min. My HR during the swim was around 155.
The bike was both as hard as I thought it would be, but also more fun then I though it would be. It was the first time I've gone that fast on my bike, racing down those hills, trying to make up for the 9km/hr climb I just did. I saw a rattlesnake on the side of the road which was pretty good motivation to go faster. Isabelle past me way before the turnaround looking strong going up the hill I was racing down. Get moving Janette! The way back wasn't as consistently downhill as I thought it would be and I had to talk myself into going faster for the last couple of hills before the quick downhill back into town.
Yeah, onto the run! I totally underestimated the first long hill. I ran all the way to the top, but I had to walk for a minute or so three times up the other smaller hills before the turnaround. My max HR was going up that big hill, but it stayed around 160 for the rest of the run. My calf's were rock hard and wouldn't loosen up. I stopped at a bathroom at 6km and then I was off down the big hill. I was almost crying, I was so happy that I was almost done! I had a great cheering section as I crossed the finish line - Thank you Tom, Isabelle, and Scotty! It was super hot and sunny and I just finished the hardest race I've ever done! Can't wait for Apple - there are no hills there, right? :) Thank you so much Todd!!! I'm so glad you suggested this race - I now know I can do this!!
Janette

No comments: