Monday, September 28, 2009

John's IM Canada report

As I crossed the finish line at Ironman for a second time one year later, I realized how different my experience was this year vs. last. My finish line this year was not about realizing that I was truly capable of giving 100%. It was about reminding myself that as a person I was capable of playing a bigger game in life.

A friend who inspires me sent me a message early this spring and he said it best:

“Racing at Ironman isn't about facing limits or boundaries as I had once thought; but rather about simply going on, taking the next step, and never giving up in the present. It's not about winning. For all its imagery, Ironman is about simply about choosing life. Choosing what will define us, and what our story will be”.

Happily, this year at Ironman Canada I did not need medical treatment. Despite training for only 12 weeks I had improved my time since last year by 2hr and 15mins.

Ironman is a long day… A 3.8km swim, 180km bike ride and a 42.2km run. Throughout the race I was never alone! I had my list, the list of people that inspire me through their actions and accomplishments. Some of these people on my list were at the race, cheering me on. Just making eye contact with them sent electricity through my muscles and allowed me to push harder and go faster. Some of the people on my list were at home and when I needed them they were called upon in my mind.

One young girl, whom I had never met, (n’or do I know her name) inspired me beyond belief on the run. The sun was going down and people were walking and running at a snails pace. It was a very hot day and a forest fire had brought in a good amount of smoke. During the run I was negotiating with my mind on when I’d run and walk and I was losing the negotiation. I pulled up to an aid station and waited until I heard a young girl offer “Pepsi”, as I looked over to her I immediately noticed this young girl was in a wheelchair. She had a huge smile on her face and was enthusiastically handing out the best beverage on the course. This young girl not only inspired me, but she reminded me of a lifeline of strong women whom I am connected to. It was incredibly humbling and inspiring at the same time. In short, I never walked again for the rest of the race. The last 100 meters of the course I passed four people because I ran harder and faster. Looking at a picture of me crossing the finish line makes me laugh. I finished my race so strong because I was so inspired!

Completing Ironman Canada 2009 with a better time than the year prior was my goal. I look at goals as finish lines; in life we are all running our own race. The finish line at Ironman represents a race that I was running that started 12 weeks earlier.

What I learned crossing this finish line was:

Everyone is capable of playing a bigger game in life. Anything is possible if you surround yourself with people that inspire you, encourage you and hold you accountable towards your finish line.

No comments: