Sunday, September 12, 2010

Shane's Worlds Race Report

Well I am done World Championships for 2010 and I am quite sore. I finished many hours ago but this is the first time I have been able to get to the computer. The swim was very cold and only 14.9 degrees, which for some of you if you remember is slightly warmer than Vancouver in 2008 worlds. I started off very well in the swim and finished slightly under the 22minute mark. Great for a swim with no swim warm up. (No one was allowed a swim warm up before the start of the race.) We were in the water approximately 2 minutes before the gun went off.

The transitions were pretty long and I was in the first transition about 3 minutes (about the same for the second transition) When I got onto the bike I felt great and was able to push throughout the ride. The bike turned out to be a little bit short and my time was around the 53 minute mark. (I think it was about 4 to 5K short). Nonetheless i was flying on the bike and i figure with the added distance i would have come in around the hour mark. Which for me is an unbelievable ride. Previous best on the bike was around the 1:10:00 mark or so. I pushed harder than i ever have before on the bike and it showed up on the run with my legs really heavy from 4k to 8k.

The run was fairly flat and i was able to go pretty good for the first 4K or so and then the slight up hills showed up in my quads and i slowed coming up and going over the chain bridge. During the run, we crossed this bridge 3 times, with the slight incline over the bridge each time. But once i got to the top of the bridge for the last time, i knew there was only 2k left and less than 8 minutes of pain and the next 500m of the 2K was down hill. I was flying coming down the hill and onto the flats and I kept it going. I was able to push through to the finish and left everything on the course. I finished the run in 43:20 and finished the triathlon in 2:04:00. Which is a massive personal best!!!!!!!!!!! (previous pb in the triathlon was 2:17:45) Even with the added distance on the bike I still beat my previous personal best by almost 7 minutes overall.

What a great day to be me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yipppppppeeeeee! Now i can go and have a great time tonight. The beer will be flowing and the desserts will be great over the next couple of days.

Thank you all for your support over the last year and a special thanks goes to my younger brother and training partner for all the workouts we completed together since January and the big push at the end. Thanks Kim! Thanks for keeping me focussed on training and just being there in the pool on the frigidly cold morning swims in February.

No comments: