Monday, June 18, 2007

Arbour Lake Tri

Wow what a day for the race! 10 degrees and rain and more rain. When I left my house the sun was out and I thought OK, the rain is over and we should have a good day. As I headed down crowchild the rain started and never stopped. Once at the parking lot I unloaded my stuff and sat in the car for a couple of mins to decide what to do. Jill and Chris walked by and said the rain will not stop by sitting in the car. So I got out and closed the door. Hey, what was that beeping noise? Oh yeah the keys are in the ignition with my phone and th doors are all locked. Perfect! Walked to transition dropped my bike off at the racks and then picked up my race package and got numbered. Still deciding what to do. I stood in the rain looked at the lake and I was already cold. That was it, I was not going to race. Lethbridge was cold enough and I did not want to repeat that day. So I was done! Tim also made the same choice as me.

Rose, Viv and Lyndsey did the olympic relay. Rose had a good swim, Viv had a great ride considering the weather and Lyndsey drank too much coffee to keep warm to have a really good run. I kept her company and I enjoyed the run without the S and B.

Chris and Marnie both were signed up for the sprint event and they looked good doing it. They were smiling and having fun. I have yet to talk to them about how it all went for them.

Josh was part of another relay (oly). He did the swim and was surprised how long it was. He did really great for a guy who does not swim much. Maddie then took to the roads for the bike leg. She managed to get in 2 laps before succumbing to the cold conditions. Her cousin then started the 10 km run. I don't think today anyone cared that she did not do the full 4 laps. People kept coming into medical to be treated for the cold and one lady unfortunately broke her arm. Very tough day.

Maddie's uncle Don was also racing today. He was smart enough to sign up for the sprint event. He survived the race! That is a great accompishment today.

Next race is Edmonton tri and Chinook half next weekend! Good luck to everyone competing and please no one step on any spiders to keep the rain away. :)

No comments: