Monday, September 01, 2008

IM Canada - What a bunch of Rookies!!!!

Now that a week has passed I have found time to write some notes about IronMan Canada. This year No Limits had 9 athletes competing. 7 of the 9 were 1st timers (rookies) at the Ironman distance. Anything could happen!!! This was my 3rd IMC and Dave's 2nd. Dave was on a mission to qualify. I am going to keep this insert short as I will write a longer report later. So for those of you who just want the goods, here it is:

I had an amazing day finishing in 9:57 (Hawaii spot)
Lyndsey had an amazing day finishing in 10:17 (Hawaii spot and new course record for age)
Dave had a great day 10:34 (Hawaii spot)
Kevin smoked the bike (freshly painted ride) and had a good day 11:41
Michele very happy with her solid 12:52
Sue finished 2nd in age group (Hawaii spot) 13:02
Phoenix was happy with her 13:17 and is already thinking of how to go faster
Tim's 6 year dream came true as he became an Ironman at 15:15
John proved that indeed he would be an Ironman as he struggled with stomach issues on the bike and run to finish in a nailbitter time of 16:45.

With such great success from a bunch of rookies it is hard to imagine what they will do on their next attempt!!!

Great work by everyone who became an Ironman that day. Setting a goal to compete in an Ironman event is huge and can be life changing. The things we learn in training and racing are too countless to write down but all make us better people and grateful that we are able to do this crazy sport.

I want to say thank you for all the people who have helped me get to IronMan Canada. Tim for use of the wheels, Maureen and Richard for the great accommodations, Rob for helping me ride at silly times of day, Rose for tracking down shoes for me in the last 2 weeks, to Chris and Alison for taking my bike out to BC and all of my athletes who wished me well. The month before the race I was lucky to talk to many of you (and even some people I had seen in years) and all of your dreams motivated me to follow mine which was to finish in 9:59. Thanks again and I am once again reminded why I decided on "No Limits" as a name.

No comments: