Monday, September 01, 2008

Kevin's IronMan race report

Here is a quick summary of my day

Swim - Not too fast, not too slow. Followed lots of feet and bubbles. Didn't ever feel like I pushed the pace but I was worried about the length of the day. Next time I will probably push it harder.

Bike - tried to take it easy on the out bound leg like we planned but got so pissed at all the drafting and pack riding that I turned it up after OK falls. After a few choice words to a pack of 15 riders and a bit of threshold riding I cooled my jets and rode smart from Osoyoos on. Flatted the front tire on the out and back portion and thought the day was done but there was hardly any glue holding the thing on and it was a quick tire change. Thoughts of a rolled tire and skin grafts galore plagued my enjoyment of the ride down yellow lake (but I still cooked it down). The tail wind into town was a blessing and the crowds were great.

Run - This is where the plan came undone. My tummy decided it was time for a break. Not nauseous and no loose poops but lots of cramps. The false flat and head winds heading out of town didn't help my enthusiasm but I just kept plunking away. Wound up walking every feed station and visiting most of the port-a-potties out and back BUT I ran/shuffled most of the time b/w aid stations. Towards the end my feet started to hurt but by then we were back in town and the people on the road were an appreciated distraction. In the end I got to run across the line with Adrian, see Lisa, Cathy, Jay, Viv and her crew and was happy to have finished it.

It was a fun day and a steep learning curve.

No comments: