Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sue's Boston Marathon Report

I thoroughly enjoyed my Boston...in fact it was the most fun ever. I did manage to run for the first half and it wasn't too bad but after Heartbreak Hll I just decided to walk and putter and take it all in even more. I had a blast up until then just running along the white line on thee right side of the course smiling and high fiving or doing whatever the music called for, with the crowd along the side. I just kept interacting with the crowd and the miles just slowly went by. I (and you) knew I had not trained sufficiently for this race so my goal was to minimize my losses and get to the finish upright. I feel I achieved my goals. I sprinted along Boylston to the finish and at the line my legs were the best they have been in years. I felt fine. I had walked most of the last 5 miles or so but I really didn't mind. I knew I did not have it in me to push on the minimal long distance training I had done. So I just got into the spirit and thanked every red sox, or bruin, or other Bostonian for what has been for me quite a grand run in Boston beginning in 1996. Doing it on and off for 15 years and managing to be in the top 10 in my age group many times I am now looking back and darn proud. I really did have a good time.
So thank you Coach Todd.

P.S. God Bless Grete Waitz, a big hero of mine. I met her at my last NYNY marathon and had her autograph my t-shirt. Reading her obituary I see we shared the same birthdate.

Please note that Sue finished in a time of 4:48 and in 115th place in her age group!
Nice job Sue!!!!

No comments: