Friday, September 02, 2011

Ironman Canada Race Report - by Chris Oliphant

I’m extremely pleased to say that I successfully completed my first Ironman Triathlon this past weekend.

I wish to thank your for your support on my the fundraising for Prostate Cancer research, and moreover your added motivation to succeed.

It was truly an experience I will not forget.

A little about the race:

The few days leading to the race were very unnerving.  Temperatures in the 30’s and no expectation for a cooling shower on race day spawn concerns on how this heat would impact what to wear and how much I’d need to drink and eat during the race.

In the end, my race plan and training program worked.  I had faith that my coach had good knowledge of what I was capable of doing and had designed a program for me that would succeed.

Thankfully, we don’t do a complete test of our endurance before the race.  Runs are never a full marathon, bike rides are not that long, and we never do the activities consecutively to the same extent.  There’s a faith that the plan will work when the fire alarm goes off.

I’m elated to say I finished with in a very respectable 375th place out of the 2900 that started the day (2598 finished the race).  My time was 11 hours and 16 minutes.  To give you some perspective, that’s about 60,500 movements because you run or rotate your legs on the pedals at approximately 90 times a minute.  Many of which I counted while running to keep going.

The average finish time for the race was 13 hours 12 minutes, apparently ranking in the middle of the pack of  the 25 most difficult Ironman’s events.

The second largest age group is males 45 to 49 which I was a participant in (somehow I turn 45 this year).  Of the 379 in my group, I placed 44th.  Not bad for a newbie if I do say so myself.  The  oldest participant was 81.  (You still have time).

At the sound of the horn, 2800 jump into the lake at the same time and start heading for a marshmallow 1.5 km’s away.  As we get closer to the marshmallow, the pack gets a little tighter (think sardines).  I attached a picture of the swim group. I’m on the right side, front 1/3rd to start in the blue cap, (see me?).  I only had my goggles knocked off once and for the most part had a comfortable swim in the warm Okanagan.  Cold is usually my nemesis which was not an issue in Penticton.

After 1:10, I crawled up out of the lake and jumped on my bike to ride the 180km trek.  My brother surprised me on the ride as he pulled up beside me on the climb called Rickters pass.  See pix attached.  It shortened and flattened the hill considerably to have him drive along beside me and video tape me saying hello to my two boys whom I advised I would be putting in each leg to get me over the top.  After 5 hours and 45 minutes, I handed my bike to a volunteer with thoughts that I may not be wanting it back again.  (It was the wrong time to test out a new pair of bike shorts even though they were the fundraisers).

The run definitely challenged my Will power.  After 15km’s my right knee decided to revolt.  My ideals of a sub 11 hour race were quickly fading, and I found myself switching into survival mode.  I managed to continue to run to the halfway point but eventually made a deal with my limb to walk the aid stations (30 meters each).  There were a lot of people around me walking (even some of the pro’s on the way back on the run), and it was difficult not to give acceptance of the conditions.   I had ice under my hat and down my back, sponges on my shoulders, and an ice water shower at each aid station to control the heat.  The ice water felt great until it would hit my knee and set off further spasms. 

It truly is an endurance race.  When I look I my times it’s interesting to me that I placed 707th in the swim, 425th in the bike, and 521st in the run, yet my overall place was 375th!   It reminds me of investing. 

So what are some of the things I’m thankful for from this experience?

a. The support from all of you, my great friends and family, and the many new friends I made on the journey including my special training partner. The more I thought of the people I’d have to explain why I would stop, the harder it was to allow myself to give up.  A special mention to my brother Bob, who I’ve always admired and who always offers his unselfish support, by saving me with a last minute delivery of nutrition that I forgot at take to the start line (mars bars).  He would later run in his blue jeans and 30+ deg heat. to the rescue of another rider needing a spare bike tube.  (I think he’s in training to do an Ironman someday also.)

b. The support from the amazing spectators and volunteers.  I was cheered on by Elvis, Wonder woman, Super man, Hula Girls, A guy in a ‘Skittles’ plastic bag (for ? hours at 30 degree’s), countless encouraging friends I’d never met before who would read my bib and yell ‘Go Chris go, you can do this’ while standing in the blazing sun for hours.

c. The support and guidance of my coach. Thanks Todd !  P.s. If you haven’t got a personal health/ fitness coach of some kind, what are you waiting for?  

d. The gift of my health which I do not take for granted.

Yes, I have signed up again for next year’s event.   How couldn’t I.  Even my boys who persevered to watch cartoons Saturday mornings until I got back from my ride or run were emphatic I had to do it again.  (Something about it being so cool to be able to tell their friends). 

Thanks for being with me for the support. Don’t worry, no fundraising planned for next years Ironman.

Here’s a link to a few of my photos on the Web.   Check out the video of my finish line move if you get a second. On direction of my coach, I started practicing my finish line move weeks before the race, and for the 11 hours during it to keep me going.  Sadly the video missed the start where I was ‘swimming in the air’ before my exploding fist revealed a ‘one’ symbolizing my “First Ironman” (as opposed to my place obviously.)   Took some effort to be able to do that !  I’m already working on my finish line moves for 2012.




Thanks again !
Chris

No comments: