Friday, September 02, 2011

Race Review by Coach Todd

Ironman Canada 2011 Race Review by Coach Todd

Ok, so now it almost a week after the race and we have all read many reports and seen lots of photos from the race.  Yes here is one more report and pictures.  The day after the race I started writing the report and after about 4 pages I was done.  Upon reflection I have decided not to post that report and only make it available upon email request.  So if you want to read it send me an email and I will send it to you.

Instead I am going to point out some highlights of my Ironman week  (hope you enjoy)

·       Morning lake swims and youtube videos leading up to raceday
·       Meeting lots of new people, like Tim and Paula
·       Meeting Jerry Lee of Newton and Winter at Newton Team BBQ
·       Newton arriving in Penticton and raising $5300 for Prostate Cancer (WOW)
·       Pre-race meetings at Starbucks (you can never have too much coffee, right)
·       Diner with the Walsh’s and Mike the night before IMC
·       Hanging with Maureen and Richard
·       Driving to the start with Monica, John and Brian and John yelling out the window I am sugared up!!!!
·       John carrying my heavy bag as we walk to main street
·       Being in transition so early with limited stress (not used to this) J
·       No wait for the potta pottie.
·       Warming up in the lake and then stopping about 25m from the start and looking at the crowd of people (so peaceful).  The calm before the storm
·       No kicks to head or Face during the swim. Relatively calm 4 Km swim
·       Swim time 1:03
·       Fast Transition sub 3 minutes
·       Encouraging the crowd to cheer as I ride down Main Street.  
The Patented No Limits Wave.  J
·       Riding strong and comfortable out of Penticton
·       Getting a flat tire at exactly the 20 Km mark
·       Using the 20 Km sign as a bike repair stand
·       Staying calm during the repair (10 mins)
·       Sticking to race plan after flat tire
·       Enjoying the warm day (30 degrees)
·       Catching up to Ian at the Special Needs
·       Riding with Ian up to yellow lake
·       Riding up and over Yellow without a break on the Walsh couch or hitchhiking.
·       So happy to complete the bike.  J now just a marathon
·       Seeing Lyndsey and Mike all over the bike / run course and taking lots of photos.
·       Seeing Mary, Tanya, Kendal, Brian’s family, Elaine and Michele on course
·       Seeing Ian in the change tent (caught him)
·       Pace too fast during the 1st mile on run (much better than too slow)
·       Happy that the day is warm.  Much better than last year
·       Strong pace on run
·       Seeing Phoenix and family at special needs
·       Ben near special needs
·       Kyle and Myron looking strong on the run
·       Still passing runners
·       Seeing all of my athletes on the run (Chris, Ian, Rob, Raf, John, Brian, Keith and Monica)  Yey everyone is off the bike.
·       Madi telling me I am her hero and inspires me to run faster
·       Rose encouraging me
·       Jordan taking so many photos
·       Suzanne and Luke encouraging so many
·       Dedicating the last 6 miles to special people
·       Not walking (except for the aid stations and last turn)
·       Finishing ironman with a gymnastics stick it finish.  (ok so it was not pretty but I tired)  J.  This was dedicated to my family who were watching at home.
·        Resting for a while on the grass J
·       Having Mike greet me near the finish line and take care of me.
·       Meeting up with other finishers while we recover and prepare for the walk to the car.
·       Being so sore the next day as I walked through the airports.
·       Singing up for IMC 2012 within 2 days.
·       Looking forward to doing this all again in a year.
·       Thank you to all the Finishers and Supporters this year (GREATLY appreciated)

No comments: