Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Oliver Half Race Report by Isabelle

“The day started out with a bit of a disappointment as it was pouring rain on the way from Penticton to Oliver...but as soon as I got to Oliver and saw all the athletes walking in the rain, I could feel the excitement coming back and figured I’d been training hard enough and long enough for this so this was not a day to just roll over and sleep in!!! So I went to set up my transition area in the rain...with a smile!
Swim start – my heart was racing....but as soon as I heard the familiar sound I went and I was on fire! I was so excited for some reason! I couldn’t stop singing in the water. I felt smooth and relaxed and everything was going fine! On the way back after about 1.5km, I started wondering if they’d let me do a few more swim loops and cut down the run...he he...I finished in 39 minutes and was proud of myself! The stripping of the wetsuit was so much fun (I have to admit I couldn’t wait to try it...ha ha).
I went to transition and all my stuff was soaked. I was having a hard time leaving the comfort of the transition area but then a guy next to me told me it was probably time to go...so I went...ha ha...and was on fire again! I was riding, passing people, eating my salted potatoes, cheerios, pretzels, fig newtons....and thinking :”This is awesome, I get to eat all the food I’ve been avoiding for the last months!!” But at 63km, I started feeling tired....I was going super slow and couldn’t speed up my legs for some reason....so I popped a few potatoes in my mouth and this girl passed me and said: “Go 661!!!!” and I went again....I finished the 93km ride in 3:39 which is awesome for me! I was surprised and happy!!!!!!! The second transition was SO slow...cause you know how I love running...ha ha...believe it or not, I was in transition for a little over 7 minutes!!!!! But then I heard Tom say” Go Isabelle, you’re almost done!”....and the first pro woman was crossing the finish line at the same time so I thought I should hurry up if I didn’t want to finish my run alone....so I went....The run was two loops and I did not have the stiff legs I was expecting to have. I felt good and decided to do 10-1...and it worked! I ran steady and walked fast when walking for the 1 minutes...and was looking at the beautiful scenery! When I got to the turn around point I was surprised at the pace I was keeping and pretty happy with myself! My left foot was hurting as I had tied my shoe too tight but I was scared to stop...and then at the 18km mark I realized I was going to finish this thing and unless I wanted a grim on my face at the finish line, I better fix my shoe so I bent down and almost got stuck there....wow I thought! This really is something! This guy passed by me and encouraged me so I went....all proud of myself!!! As I got to the turn around point I saw that many of the athletes which I thought were in front of me were actually behind me by one loop and started encouraging people and feeling so proud...I can’t describe it! I could see the arch and people were clapping and I just wanted to dance!!! I did it Todd! Thanks to you, thanks to Tom’s patience and thanks to my body!!!!!!!! I LOVED it! And now the ironman dream is so much closer......I am addicted!!!! You are the best coach!!!!
When I crossed the finish line, the commentator said:” Here we have a very happy athlete....”....ha ha...and it made me laugh!!!!
My final time: 7:11:17 – no world record but certainly a personal record!!! And really, if I keep that pace and go a little faster in transition, maybe I could qualify for Hawaii...ha ha!!!!! I just want to kiss every ironman’s feet now that I understand half of what they feel on D-day!!! So to anyone who is thinking of doing a half or a full: GO FOR IT!!! There is no feeling like this one!!!! “

No comments: