Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wasa Race report by Mary


Race day was great and I loved the venue and course. You weren't kidding about it being fast and flat. My time was 2:43:29: Swim 24:55 Bike 1:24 Run 54:21. I was very happy overall. I started towards the front (behind the sub 20 min people) and off to the side but still managed to get pummeled at the start. No sharp blows but smacking arms and people attempting to swim over me for the first 150-200. I think next time I will stay farther to the side. After the first buoy I had some space and the swim felt good. I tried a different wetsuit this time (thanks Rose) and it was less restrictive in the shoulders and made for a much easier swim. I was a bit disoriented when I exited the water and took my time getting to transition. As for the bike- the magnet on my back tire somehow shifted from my walk to transition and exit from transition- my speed and distance weren't computing...nor was my HR. Luckily I had cadence and I just rode around 90 the entire time. I was passed by quite a few people during the first 5-10km but passed a few during the last 10k...that felt good. Transition #2 was easy and I started off feeling really good on the run. I was consciously trying to start slowly but felt great and seemed to be running quite comfortably...until I hit 6k. I wasn't in any pain but I really felt zapped. I walked through all the aid stations taking water and tried to keep my legs moving. 6-9k was just not pleasant. This was a bit disappointing as my running has felt great lately. I tried to remain positive and focus on my breathing / rhythm but I had lost a bit of motivation. Needed to be a little tougher mentally when the going got tough. Anyway- was happy when I crossed the finish line with a sub 3 hour time and will definitely return next year.
The bear photo was taken on the ride home. Nice!!!

No comments: