Friday, June 13, 2008

Vancouver sprint World Champs

Vancouver 2008 World Champs

Well the race is over and the skies have cleared. It was a very exciting weekend of racing. Friday morning was the sprint event. I was very fortunate to have the use of Leslie’s (Michele’s sister) bike. As I rode down to the race site my hands / fingers were very cold and it was raining. This was a sign of things to come. Note to myself: Next time bring gloves. J

I went to Transition looking for Tim and Pete. Did not find Tim but I did see Pete. After a quick chat and a photo he was back in the zone preparing for his race. Thanks to Pete I bought an umbrella yesterday for the race (just in case).

As I biked back to the swim start I saw Ross and Mike from Calgary and they were getting excited about their race. The ocean looked cold from the faces of the racers exiting the warmup area. I found Tim in the crowd and wished him luck. Pete was also there and he was totally in race mode. To see his race face, check out the photo of him on the run. Now that is focus on determination.

The swim went well, everyone got out of the ocean and now they were on the swim. I was worried about them as the course was very fast and rain continued to fall. Everyone looked strong and fast. I was happy to see them all get safely off their bikes. There were quite a few crashes as racers were dismounting their bikes. Very slippery!

Once on the run I cheered for all while huddled under my umbrella. The rain and the conditions did not deter the athletes much. After all this is the worlds!

At the end of the race we saw Pete finish 12th (3rd Canadian) and Tim 17th (5th Canadian). Good job guys. Another good result was put in by Mike (Lyndsey and Darryl’s Training partner who finished 8th and 1st Canadian.

You all did an amazing job in such extreme conditions!!!!

No comments: