Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Lynn's Vancouver Sprint Triathlon (Race Report)

Race was held Sunday, July 3rd in beautiful Vancouver BC, part of the Subaru triathlon series. Originally I had signed up for the half iron, but due to a sore wrist and tight IT bands I switched my distance to the only other option, the Sprint. It was a unique Sprint with a 500m swim in the ocean (Locarno Beach), 26 km bike ride from the beach up into UBC and back, a 5km run through the Jericho beach trails, up onto 4th Ave, back in through some trees and finally along Jericho once again to the finish at Locarno Beach. Beautiful location for the race course!

The half iron swimmers were out of the water for the most part by the time I got to the race location and was ready to jump in and do a short warm up. The tide was in so the water was high and it didn't take long to be out deep. I did a longer warm up then for my previous Wasa tri - I wanted to be warm in my wetsuit and be over the shortness of breath shock from the cold water. At 17C the water wasn't too bad. I did some drills and then 40 strokes fast, 20 easy, 30 fast, 15 easy and so on until I just laid in the water at the end of warm up and looked at the beautiful blue sky. I was ready!

Walking over to the beach start was a bit intimidating. The guys and gals were mixed at first until the race announcer said men first, then 5 min later the ladies. Phew. i wasn't looking forward to a beach run start with men and women! I watched the guys take off, then chose a spot 2nd row from the front and to the far right where I thought I could get away from the crowd and just swim along the side until I hit the back part of the course. There is quite a current in that part of the water, pulling you towards the left . I found the current, waves and the aggressive swimming at the front to be a challenge. By the time I reached the 1st buoy I was disoriented and felt very dizzy. I stuck close to the buoy and asked for help. This was frustrating for me as I had struggled in the water at Wasa as well, swimming is supposed to be my strength not my weakness, and I had prepared much better for the swim with my longer warm up, yet still I was struggling and felt I couldn't relax to swim. Another racer actually held onto to me and helped me get my bearings so I could swim again. Probably 60 seconds, but that person was the only reason I stayed in the race. I was ready to say forget it and climb into the boat with the lifeguard, but she just kept telling me I could do this and eventually I believed her and was ok to keep going. So scary, 2nd time to have issues in the open water. I kept wondering for the rest of the race if maybe I am just not cut out to do this and who would do the swim in relays for me in the future :). However, I moved onto the bike...after a slow transition where I was sure my feelings of dizziness had passed and I could ride safely.

The ride was awesome! It was so inspiring to be on the race course with the half iron participants. I loved hearing the leaders come by me with their amazing bikes and wheels that have that neat whirring sound. This was a first for me so I tried to watch their form as they passed and felt in awe of their speed. I did my fastest ride yet and felt amazing. Maybe this race wasn't a lost cause after all!

Transition to run I thought I was being so prepared to stop and drink from my HEED water bottle, didn't want to stop at aid stations for water which I had done at Wasa. Well my husband caught my lengthy transition on film and it is funny now to look back. I am not sure why I thought I could be so leisurely! Oh well, I am still learning all this triathlon business...overall the run was fantastic. The course ran through many special spots for me, including where my wedding reception was held, so many wonderful memories. I enjoyed every minute of that course and ran with a smile on my face which was my goal. My daughter ran along side me near the end of the race and cheered so loudly. Those are the special moments of triathlon for me. I had a strong finish and was happy with my overall time of 1:28 and thrilled that I placed in the top 10 (8th) of my age group. I met my goals on my ride and the run. I certainly have some work to do in the open water around comfort with conditions and finding a strategy that will work for me. Transitions are something I will get quicker with too. All in all I am happy with the race and the season so far. There is so much to learn in this sport of triathlon. Working with Todd as a coach and the support of my amazing No Limits friends has been a very positive experience. I'm not sure I'll do any more races this summer, but I do know I'll keep at it and find a way to be involved in the sport that works for me.

Lynn swimming in the Ocean

Lynn looking strong on the bike


Lynn enjoying her home turf run

1 comment:

Matthew said...

A triathlon coaching career can be highly rewarding. You get to help triathletes achieve their dream, while at the same time being immersed in the sport you love.

triathlon coaching