Thursday, June 24, 2010

Chacter building night

Ok, so after i last left you i was heading out for a nice 10km run on the IM course. This was just after 10pm. Those who know me this time is nothing new for me to run at. I enjoy it plus the sun is down so it is much cooler and less crowded but still it has lots of people walking running biking etc.....

So i had a great run as I was nearing the end i had a great visualization of my finish at the finish line. The scaffolding is up so i knew exactly where it was. After my run i stretched was staring at the sea. What a great place to stretch

On my short walk lot my apt i saw an ice cream seller and I thought i would really like on of those. Checked my watch and it was just after 11. I quickly went upstairs and then grabbed my money and keys. Out the door, the door closes and i am thinking should i lock the deadbolt. I decide why not and then I go to lock the door and the keys that i grabbed were just 3 ket tags and my bike lock. I am now locked out at 11pm in nice with no way to get back in. I have no idea where the lady i rented the apt is or her ph number. Myron is now in nice but I have no ideas where or his ph no or email. What to do????

My options were to sleep in the hallway of my apt or head outside and get the wheels moving in terms of getting my door opened.

I was optimistic that i could get a hold of Myron and then i could stay with him. All i needed was a computer.

No probelm. There are 3 doors to get into my place. I gently closed the 2nd just in case needed to get back in. Once I left the main door i tried so hard to gently close the door but no use, it was locked. I now would not be sleeping in my apt tonight.

Ok, let's get a computer. I went to the pub opera where I have had diner there 2x and asked if they had a computer. The server said you can asked the boss. He is inside. So i ask please can i use your computer. He can speak pretty good english and he agrees. Now i start sending emails...to Claire, doug and Myron. Cross your fingers. I then surfed the net and found thewebsite that i rented the apt from. I emailed them about my predicament and then hoped they had a spare key. I gave Claire and doug locations where i may be. In hindsight i should have also told my rental lady where would be. But I was stressed and not thinking too well. The 2 locations i gave were the pub and the location at the beach. I waited there for about 1 hour and then gave up hope for a rescue by Myron.

Now what to do?

I then just sat on a beach and watched people, still a surprising amount of people out. I walked for a bit and then remembered hey i have a small bit of money let's go get a cafe from mcds. This helped warm me up. Remember my awesome day....great swim, great bike even with getting lost in monaco, then a great dinner with Myron followed bh a great run.

Now here I am in my running gear, all salty and tired.

I took my cafe and started to walk. Thereis this great castle on a top of a hill that i always wanted to see so i walked to see it. Time now is about 2. Unfortunalte the gates are closed and i cant access the stairs. Oh well keep walking. Next I saw this amazing monument to the fallen of ww1. Great to be able to see this in the dead of night with any pesky tourists. :)

.....Technical problems ...........


In summary. I tracked down a computer and was able to email everyone i needed to. Buti was not going to be rescued until 8 when i arranged with Myron the night before where we would swim.

Thenightwas long and i did some sightseeing by walkingtheold town.
I visited mcds few times as they closed at 230.
Had enough money for one cafe
Sat and watched the many groups of drinkers of the beach. Who some end up running in theoceean
Once the winds picked up I headed down to the beach to find some shelter from the wind. I found a wall and some cardboard to sit on. Then it was a matter of waiting until daylight. Oh i also asked the police if it was ok that I could sleep on the beach. No problem. I also visited the police post where they would get a locksmith and get me i not my apt but thiswoukd beabout500 can dollars. I figurerd i could tough out the night.

The night was cold but I lived to see the light of day and to type on my blog. What a great place to spend the night homeless .
I always say that in order to race well you need to be able to handle discomfort and the fatstest person is usually the one who can handle the most discomfort. Well i had some discomfort that night for sure and did not sleep at all. But i saw some amazing things. The moon, the stairs, birds that i swear spelled something out to me. They were French birds so i. Could not decipher.
It took so long for. The sun to come up and then to finally break through the clouds enough to warm me. I was very cold.

I saw a lady praying to the ocean and then went for a dip in the ocean and laid down for a few minutes. She seemed like this was very special for her.

Overall that was one amazing day and i am glad to have had the experience. I have a new appreciation for having a place to sleep. Lasts night sleep was amazing, went to bed at 9 and up and 930.

Things to learn ...... Remember your keys.... :)

No comments: