Wednesday, June 30, 2010

IronMan France 2010

Well IronMan France is over and so is the big goal that Myron and Myself set for ourselves. It is day 3 after the race and I feel quite recovered. I am able to do much better sight seeing and walking down and up stairs. :)

We had an absolutey beautiful day to race, which as it seems is almost everyday in Nice! The water was sort of calm for the race with a bit of stir during the 2nd lap. No jelly fish stings so I was happy. Myron was out of the Sea in a very quick 57 min. I was a bit further back fighting with the crowds and came out 10 min later in 1:06. The bike is a stunning ride. Lots of climbing and descending and breath taking scenery. Simply amazing. We saw many strong riders ride away from us during the 20 Km climb. I basically found my pace and settled in not worry (too much) about the many that were passing me. Myron pushed strong up the hill but unfortunately was starting to bonk. Just after the top (after the 70 Km Mark) I caught Myron and he said he was feeling low and trying to bounce back. I said I will see you soon and continued to ride. In the end I rode a 5:34 and Myron was 5:54. During the swim my right foot was cut from either finger nails or a watch. Also when I had to get out of the sea I stepped on a rock on my heal and it bruised. After the bike I was a bit uncertain how I would run. When I stated to run with my bike at T2 I could not land on my heal as it was too sore. Ouch Ouch Ouch... I decided to keep running and once my shoes were on I was hopeful that I would be able to run (and that the cut on my foot was only minor despite the blood on my bike shoe). As it turned out the cuts did not look too bad so I put on my socks and shoes and off I went. My heal did hurt but I decided to run through it. After a while the pain was gone. This was good. The run course is 4 laps of 10.5 Km. The 1st lap was about just getting my running legs going and this took longer than I hoped. The 2nd loop felt better but it was getting very hot. I would drench myself at every aid station with water and the supplied run through showers. Lap 3 was ugly, I was forced to walk and I started to question about how long lap 4 was going to take. Arghh! This was tough. After starting the last lap I saw Claire and Catherine and they inspired me to pick it up. I started doing the math in my head and I knew I could still finish sub 11 as long as I continued to run. So I did with all of my focus. I was so happy to be done and see the clock at 10:45. Another IM complete and this is my 1st finish in the 10 hr range. 2nd fastest. Happy! Myron was able to run with his achilles and he finished in 11:14. We were 277 and 472 overall out of ~2700 athletes. Good day! I am sure Myron will post his report soon.

Thanks for reading and all of your support and well wishes! Bonsoir!

No comments: