Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Calgary HSBC marathon / half / 10 Km

The Calgary HSBC run weekend was last week. What a great day to run. This was my 1st attempt at a marathon without a swim and bike warmup. I had my sights on qualifying for Boston. I needed to finish in a time of 3:15.59. I was very optimistic that I would reach my goal. I knew that if I held 4:30 - 4:37 min /Km I would make it.

That would have been the smart choice. Steady pace from start to finish. I decided on race day to run by feel and a bit by HR and leave it all on the course and see what the time is on the clock at the finish. My 1st Km was sub 4:00 (just under). That is OK. Next few Km's were very close to 4:00's Still feel good. 10km = 41 mins. Ok I am working now, but I still feel good. My pace slowed a bit going up Shag hill and then settled down to the 4:15 - 4:19. Still under the 4:30 - 4:37 pace. I know I am working and my legs are getting tighter. At the half I was 1:29. STill feel good and under my goal time. The next few Km's were tough, legs heavy, tight and sore. Stopped at a porta pottie for a pee break. It felt great to stop. Maybe a little too great and I had urges to stop along the rest of the course. I minimized this the best that I could. My Km's were now in the 5 min range and I was quickly doing the math in my head. I should still be good, just keep my legs moving and stay near 5 min Kms.

Now I forgot to mention that one main reason for me running this race was so that I could visit my friend in Boston who lost his Dad last year to Cancer. They are both from Kenya and as I was struggling on the course I saw a sign that read "embrace your inner Kenyan". This made me smile and I focused on the 2 of them and what they had to go through. For me all I had to do was run 12 more Km and I could rest. EASY. I also did similar thinking as I passed the Children's hospital and thought how easy running is compared to what some of the kids and families are going through. Running is easy.

Back to the race: Once back on memorial I was in survival mode. I saw some friendly faces and I know my was not too cheerful. Thanks for cheering, I appreciate all your words and claps! Still doing the math, it will come down to seconds. Still thinking of my friend and pushing on the absolute best that I can do. Why can't I go any faster! ARghh.

1 Km to go. Should make it. Rob catches me on the last turn as asks if we are on pace, we will see what the clock says. He passes and I pick up the pace as much as I can until I look at my watch on the last corner. It just passed 3 hour 16. That's it. No Boston today. I finished in a time of 3:16.28. Missed Boston by 29 seconds. Next time!

As I finished Rob and I got a great finishers photo together with our belt buckle medals and then Shane helped me to the ground where I could rest. Then he helped me slowly shuffle to Darryl's house where he drove me back to my car.

Wow, what a great day and amazing experience. I was sad to have missed qualifying for Boston as I had dedicated this race to Allan and his Dad. But very happy that I pushed as hard as I did.


Other great finishes of the day:
Rob 3:16.11 (missed qualifying by 11 sec)
Todd 3:16.27
Phoenix 4:28

Half Marathon
Darryl 1:32
Tara 1:35
Brian 1:50
Janice 1:54
Tanya 1:58

No comments: