Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Phoenix's Calgary Marathon race report

My first 25 kms or so I was consistent in running a 5:15-5:30 pace (I was happy with that) the aid stations were annoying because in my rush to start the race I forgot my Carbo Pro, meaning I had to deal with gatorade...gatorade tends to give me tummy troubles...well today that came to fruition. It was hell from just past speed theory (when the body tremors started) to all the way around back to 53rd. (my old hood :-)) I was forced to walk at times because ....well just because it would have been gross. lol


Then the speed wasn't as much in the legs but I did my best. At around the 7 kms to go sign that old knee pain from last year came back. I quickly popped some Ibupropren but could still feel it, the 39 km aid station took FOREVER to appear before my eyes, then the last 3 km I didn't stop but I took it easy with my knee and such. My time on my garmin was 4:19 (thanks for coming out, better luck next year...lol)
But I still think it was a success: I am most proud of keeping a positive attitude, I tried to smile at everyone, and not get too stuck up in the goal. You never know who is looking at that smile, or who a positive attitude can touch.

After running the wildflower my 13 year old babysitter states she was inspired and wants to tri triathlon, and in fact she ran the 5 km today (she only started running two weeks ago) so we are all proud of her, and it just shows me that keeping a positive face on is more important to the kids then getting down on myself. (it is inspiring to me because her parents are quite fit, but it was me that inspired her :))

Next race is GWN.

No comments: