Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Ian's Shawnigan Lake race report

The race went fairly well. The swim was a mosh pit for the first half loop. Probably the roughest I have been in. It was the Provincial championships and there seemed to be a lot of fast swimmers. I was pretty happy with the bike. It was a four loop course and on the first loop nobody passed me. Second loop wasn't going so well and about halfway through the third loop I concentrated on your bike strategy and got my cadence up. I think I tend to "grind it out" at too low a cadence. When I picked up the cadence I passed six cyclists on the fourth loop. The last loop was also my fastest loop. That loop gave me the confidence that if I cycle properly I can put a decent bike split together. My only disappointment was the run which was slower than I would have liked. Probably a mixture of some trade-off from a faster bike and a slightly slower course because it was all gravel. My nutrition seemed to work with no major issues. I was getting concerned on the run because there were supposed to be gels every 2 km and I went an hour before I realized that you had to ask at the aid stations for a gel. My time was about 4:54 so I am getting faster.

No comments: