Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Mary's Wasa race report


I had a great race @ wasa this wkd. My goal was to go sub 2:40 and I finished in 2:32. Bettered last year by 11 min! The swim course was short this year. I never heard official word on how shy of 1500m it was but my guess is 175ish. There was a bit of a run to transition so maybe they "accidentally" shorted the swim to compensate for the 200m run to transition so racers wouldn't be disgruntled with slow swim splits? I ran into Lynn in the water minutes before the race started and she convinced me (actually, forced me) to start front and center in the pack alongside her. I usually start front line but on the wings so this was a new experience for me. I cursed her for the first 500m or so as I was being pummeled from all directions. However, it was a perfect line to the first buoy and by the time I got there I was thankful I allowed her to take me out of my comfort zone. The bike was fairly uneventful as there were clear skies, little wind, and a flat course. I was pleased that my bike split was 5 minutes faster than last year. This year there was a new run route which in my opinion was much more pleasant than the old route. There was running on concrete pathways, dirt paths, grass and sand and there were plenty of well man'd aid stations. I think the relatively mild temps and new course both contributed to a fairly good 10k run split for me- it was only a minute off my personal best. Wasa is a great race that is well organized, well supported and very family friendly. I highly recommend it!

No comments: